Got questions on travel insurance before you zoom off? We're here to help put you on the travel map.
See some common queries below, but if you have any further
questions please shoot us an email at [email protected]

0 Q&A Found for ""

0 Pages Found for ""

No Results Found for ""

Try changing the search query!


  • What age limits apply to Zoom travel insurance policies?
  • You must be under the age of 85 to buy a policy with Zoom. Those under 79 years can purchase a policy for a maximum trip duration of 365 days. Those aged between 80-85 years can purchase a policy for a maximum trip duration of 184 days only.

  • What age restrictions apply to frequent traveller policies?
  • Annual multi-trip policies are available to jet setters 69 years and under.

  • What is the maximum trip duration for frequent traveller policies?
  • Our frequent traveller policies cover you for an unlimited number of international and domestic trips for a whole year. However, there are limits on the individual trip durations. You can choose between 15 days or 45 days; if you’re planning a trip longer than 45 days, you should buy a single trip policy.

  • What excess applies to senior travellers?
  • A standard excess fee of $200 applies to travellers aged 70-79. A $2,000 excess applies to travellers aged 80-85 if the claim is a result of injury or illness. For all other claims the standard excess applies.

  • Which pre-existing conditions do you cover?
  • Zoom covers a number of pre-existing medical conditions automatically. For further information and a full list of covered conditions head to our pre-exisiting medical conditions page.

  • Does Zoom travel insurance cover pregnancy?
  • Yes, if you conceived naturally, without fertility treatment and with no complications then you are automatically covered up to and including the 24th week of your pregnancy for single pregnancies. If you're lucky enough to be experiencing a mulitple pregnancy, we will cover you up to and including the 19th week.

  • How far in advance can I buy a Zoom policy?
  • You can buy a Zoom policy up to 12 months prior to your trip.

  • How long can I travel for at a time?
  • You can buy cover for up to 12 months at a time with Zoom.

  • Can I extend my policy once I've already started my holiday?
  • Sure, you can extend your trip by up to 12 months provided we receive your request prior to your original policy expiry. However, if you resort to snail mail, we'll need to receive notice to extend cover at least seven days before your original policy expires. Cover will be extended subject to our approval, and your payment of the additional premium.

  • Does Zoom cover those already overseas? Or for one-way travel?
  • No we require a start date and end date in New Zealand to be able to provide you with quotes.

  • Does Zoom cover non-residents?
  • Yes, Zoom will cover holders of a current and valid New Zealand permanent resident visa, partner/spousal visa or skilled working visa (457 or other skilled working visa) or an Australian passport holder permanently residing in New Zealand, who are temporarily travelling overseas and who, at the date the certificate of insurance is issued:

    -are aged 74 years and under; and
    -hold a return ticket to New Zealand; and
    -have a home in New Zealand to which they intend to return; and
    -hold a current New Zealand visa which will remain valid beyond the period of their journey; and
    -have private health insurance for the entire journey and beyond.

    Zoom however doesn’t cover Non-Residents who are visiting New Zealand.

  • What is Zoom's cooling off period?
  • If you decide that you do not want this policy, you may cancel it within 14 days after you are issued your certificate of insurance. You will be given a full refund of the premium you paid, provided you cancel prior to the start of the first of the travel dates shown on your certificate of insurance, and you do not want to make a claim or to exercise any other right under the policy. After this period, you can still cancel your policy but we will not refund any part of your premium if you do.


  • Am I covered for all adventure activities?
  • We automatically cover a wide range of adventure sports including diving, bunjee jumping, horse riding and more. You can also buy our Adventure Pack to cover additional adventure sports. View a full list of activities covered under Zoom policies.

  • Does Zoom cover bicycle/s?
  • Yes. You will need to buy the Bicycle Pack Add-on to cover your Bicycle. 'Bicycle Pack' covers for any loss, theft of or damage to a bicycle. We will pay or reimburse you up to $5,000 for any one bicycle and the maximum amount we will pay for all claims combined is $15,000. You can cover up to five bikes under the Bicycle Pack. Please note: No cover is provided under this section for any bicycle accessories (including but not limited to tools, bicycle pumps, lights, helmets, etc.) as these items are covered under luggage and personal effects.

  • Can I reduce my excess with Zoom products?
  • Yes, you can reduce the standard excess of $200 to $100 by selecting and paying a fee to reduce your excess during the payment process.

  • Does Zoom cover golf clubs?
  • Yes. You are covered up to a combined total of $750 for your golf clubs, golf bag and golf trolley. If you are wanting a higher level of cover for individual golf items or higher combined limit you will need to buy the Golf Pack add on. The Golf Pack add on provides cover for; your own golf equipment (golf clubs, golf bag, golf trolley and golf shoes, Golf Equipment Hire (golf clubs, golf bag, golf trolley and golf shoes), Golf Green Fees and Hole in One cover.

  • Does Zoom cover rental vehicle excess?
  • Yes we will reimburse you for up to $5,000 or $8,000 for any excess or deductible which you become legally liable to pay under your rental vehicle hiring agreement. Note that rental vehicle excess is an additional extra under all plans apart from Domestic. As well, you may only add or upgrade vehicle excess prior to picking up the car.

  • Am I covered to ride a motorbike or scooter?
  • Yes, however if you are in control of a motorcycle or scooter with an engine capacity greater than 50cc then a motorcycle licence along with a New Zealand driver's license is mandatory. This applies even if you are not required to hold a motorcycle licence because you hold a driver’s licence, or if a motorcycle licence is not required by law in the country you are riding in. You must also be wearing a helmet at all times.


  • How do I make a claim?
  • You must complete a claim form within 30 days of your return to New Zealand. For all claims enquiries please visit our claims page.

  • How do I contact emergency assistance?
  • In a medical emergency, time is critical. For all assistance services, please visit our emergency assistance page for all the numbers you need.

  • Who are Zoom Travel Insurance
  • Zoom Travel Insurance (Zoom) is a trading name of The Insurance Geeks Limited. The founders are pioneers of the online travel insurance industry and have been innovating and selling travel insurance products for eighteen years.