Ride Worry Free

Please select at least 1 country or destination.
Please select departure and return date.
Please input traveller age(s).
The maximum number of people you can have on a Zoom policy is 25.
Your kids go free
This means your dependant children or grandchildren under the age of 21 at the date of policy issue who are travelling with you.


Getting around on two wheels can be a thrilling way to see the world. Whether you're zipping around Bali on a scooter, cruising the Amalfi Coast on a vespa, or motoring through Mexico on a motorcycle, Zoom travel insurance has you covered. With Zoom you don't pay any extra for the freedom to ride, but there are some conditions that apply, so read on before you settle in to the saddle.
What are you waiting for? Get Zooming!


all engine size

ALL engine sizes coverED

At Zoom, you're covered to ride a motorbike or scooter of any engine size provided that the driver in control is licensed to ride that class of bike.

wear a helmet

protect your noggin

A motorcycle helmet must be worn, regardless of whether or not it is a requirement of the local laws for the country you are in.

legally licensed

legally licenced

The driver must hold a current motorcycle license valid for the country you are in. If you crash without being properly licence, you're not covered.

dont drive intoxicated

don't drink & RIDE

If you have an accident whilst you're intoxicated, or under the influence of drugs your claim is likely to be denied. Play it safe and ride sober.

emergency assistance

emergency ASSISTANCE

Your health is our number one priority. Our emergency assistance experts are just a phone call away 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

medical cover


If you have a motorbike accident and are injured overseas, we'll pay for your emergency medical treatment and hospital expenses.

easy claims

easy claims

We’ve kept our claims process simple and guarantee to assess fully documented claims within 10 business days.

peace of mind

Peace Of Mind

Zoom to Zen. You can relax into your saddle knowing that you’re covered by award winning travel insurance.


  • Am I covered while riding a scooter, moped or motorbike overseas?
  • In short, yes you are covered. All Zoom policies cover you to ride a motorbike (whether you are the driver or passenger pillion) but you must be properly licenced; wear a helmet; and obey by the rules of the road.

  • Are there any restrictions on the type of motorbike?
  • No, at Zoom we cover you to ride any two-wheeled or three-wheeled motorised bike including motorbikes, motorcycles, scooters, vespas, and mopeds.

  • How do I add this cover to my policy?
  • You don't need to do add anything to your policy. Zoom automatically covers you for riding a motorbike at no additional cost. Whether you're hiring a moped for one day or a motorbike for a month, we've got you covered as long as you're wearing a helmet and the driver is licenced to ride that class of bike.

  • Is the motorbike or scooter covered if I have an accident?
  • No, rental vehicles including motorbikes are not covered by your travel insurance. The same goes for the rental insurance excess, which refers to the amount you’ll have to pay the rental company if the bike gets damaged. Insurance on the vehicle is generally included in your daily rental cost for the bike.

  • Does it matter where I rent the motorcycle or scooter from?
  • Your Zoom policy covers you for any injuries you sustain while riding regardless of where you have hired the bike from. However you should make sure that ther rental company is legitimate. It pays to read the rental agreement to understand how much you would have to pay if the motorbike or scooter is damaged. Ask for a pre-rental damage report or take photos of the bike before you leave. There have been cases of travellers being held accountable for damage that they didn't cause.

  • Do I have to wear a helmet?
  • Yes, preferably one that protects your whole face. It's compulsory to wear a helmet in Thailand, Cambodia and Bali, but no matter which country you’re riding in, to be covered under your travel insurance policy, you must wear a helmet. Even if you are not reqiured by the law to wear a helmet in that country, our travel insurance policy requires you to wear one. You’ll also need a helmet if you are a passenger on a motorcycle, moped or scooter. If you’re not wearing a helmet during an accident, you won’t be covered.

  • Is my New Zealand licence valid overseas?
  • Licence requirements vary from country to country but an Internation Driving Permit (IDP) is recognised in most countries and recommended as the best way to ensure that you're properly licenced to drive or ride overseas. Particularly where English is not a native language as it provides translations into many languages.

    An IDP is an internationally recognised translation of your current driver licence. It is not a licence in its own right, so you must also carry your New Zealand driver licence with you when driving and stik to the same class of vehicle.  So, if your motorbike licence restricts the engine size you can ride, you can’t legally ride a scooter or motorbike with a larger engine capacity while overseas.

    In many countries including Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia and the United Arab Emirates, you can only legally drive if you have an International Driver’s Permit.

    In some countries, such as in Vietnam, you may also be required to hold a local licence. In a few countries like Laos and Indonesia, there is also the option of getting a local licence instead of an IDP. Remember though, getting a local licence will only be valid for the country you are in, you can’t use that licence to ride a motorbike or scooter outside that country! This would be riding illegally, and your travel insurance wont provide you with cover.

    AA is the only place in New Zealand that you can apply for an International Driving Permit.

  • Are there any exclusions to pay attention to?
  • Accidents do happen so it’s important to make sure you have travel insurance that provides cover for riding motorbikes and scooters overseas. Like all insurances, some limits and exclusions will apply. We won't pay any claims if you violate your rental agreement; or if you are affected by alcohol or illegal drugs; you don't hold the correct licence for the vehicle you're operating; you are not wearing appropriate protective gear; or you are not obeying local traffic laws. Please refer to Zoom's PDS for more information.


Each Zoom plan has different policy benefits. You can minimise your costs with Medical Only cover, or choose to buy Comprehensive Travel Insurance for extra protection to cover things like travel delays and cancellation. Compare Zoom's Travel Insurance plans online today.

Like all travel insurance plans, they don't cover everything. Just the unexpected.
You should read your policy document (PDS) carefully to ensure you select the cover that is best for you.

You can add optional cover for extras such as Rental Vehicle Excess if you are hiring a car, Sports Activities Pack if you’re feeling adventurous and Snow Cover if you are hitting the slopes. These can be added during the quote process.